Australia PHILIPPINES: Events

The Phantom of the Opera Invades Manila & Australia 2012

Sunday, February 05, 2012Traveliztera





One of my lifetime goals is to be a BROADWAY musical star.  My friends would look at me weirdly when I say this, because they're used to me singing Pop or Rock. However, I discovered this when I was 7 years old, upon hearing Andrew Lloyd Webber's EVITA soundtrack through my cousin. That time, I haven't seen the movie yet (the one that starred MADONNA), and I was just creating these images in my head while listening to the songs. I started acting the scenes out, while singing the musical pieces, imagining I was Evita. That was the start of my love for musicals ...





At a young age, I was exposed to the theatre world. I watched Miss Saigon when I was 8 in Sydney (this starred Ms. Joanna Ampil), and I continued watching musicals while growing up in the Philippines, such as "They're Playing Our Song", (held in Manila, which starred Ms. Lea Salonga and Adrian Pang), "Florante at Laura" (Philippines production which starred Carl Virtudazo and Princess Virtudazo), "CATS" (the Australian production that toured Manila, which included our very own Ms. Lea Salonga), and of course, "The Phantom of the Opera" (the New York Broadway production) and "Love Never Dies" (The Phantom of the Opera's Sequel- Australian production). These are only some of the productions I've seen, and there are more of these which I wish I could just list down. However, this is not the point of my post.



So why am I telling you these things??? It is because of this great build-up of theatre enthusiasm that I deeply fell in love with the Phantom... Obsessed type of love. Lol! (I even made a Phantom of the Opera cover and posted it on my Youtube channel [http://youtube.com/mshypersinger] haha!)

This was a random sample I made when I heard "The Phantom Confronts Christine" in 2010. I didn't practice and just sang along with it randomly, so please forgive my singing... Nonetheless, the song is so emotional, and it's my favorite in the sequel of The Phantom of the Opera.


Yes, I am a fan... I would sing the songs when I was in highschool, but I ended up enjoying playing the role of Carlotta more because of her interesting personality in The Phantom of the Opera--the Diva who hated Christine. Ever since, some of my friends would start calling me "Carlotta".
I remember randomly calling this look "Carlotta"... 

2005 New York Broadway Production of the Phantom of the Opera.
I look weird. I know. Thanks to TITA MEL for the gift! <3 She didn't know
I was actually a fan!


I've grown up in the Philippines and ever since I fell in love with the Phantom, all I wished was for them to have a production in my very own country. It's different when you watch these musicals in your homeland, right? And especially if you're a theatre enthusiast like me!

I moved here in Sydney last year, and I was so excited when I heard that the sequel to the Phantom of the Opera was running in Melbourne. I started planning my flight and accommodation just to see it. But God is indeed good, because the production announced that they are coming to Sydney in 2012! Last January, I watched the production with my cousin, and we were completely blown away by the amazing performance of the cast. I'm planning to review this later on because it will be long. Nonetheless, if the AUSTRALIAN PRODUCTION is reading this, YOU HAVE COMPLETELY TOUCHED OUR HEARTS--even my cousin who never saw the first part of The Phantom of the Opera.



January 2012, Capitol Theatre, Sydney for Love Never Dies


LOVE NEVER DIES at the Capitol Theatre in Sydney (2012)


After watching the Australian version of the play, I saw that THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is finally going to the PHILIPPINES this year! I seriously wanna see this because helloooooo? Firstly, it's THE PHANTOM, and secondly, it's going to be in my homeland!!! And of course, I HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS who love the Phantom, and it would be nice to bond with them through this amazing Andrew Lloyd Webber creation!

I have a question though... Is Ramin Karimloo playing the role of the Phantom in Manila? Because if he is, I am definitely coming home!

Anyway, I am receiving questions regarding WHAT TO WEAR when watching musicals like The Phantom of the Opera. In the photo wherein I watched the New York production, I was very casual because I was still awkward when it came to dressing up. However, upon reaching the 20s, I learned how to fix myself up for such events. Though I was not able to get a photo of my whole look when I watched the Australian production of Love Never Dies, I would still like to mention that it was a smart casual look. However, to give you another visual of how I dress up when watching musicals, here's a photo taken before watching "Cats" in Manila (2010):


I am aware that some musical events do not require a certain dress code. However, I would recommend that you at least opt to wear SMART CASUAL clothing when attending. 

WHAT DID YOU WEAR? 
Send your photo to get included in a new post regarding WHAT TO WEAR during theatre events. Click here to email using my contact form!

I am happy how the Philippines is getting so many musicals these past and upcoming months (CATS, Sound of Music, Mamma Mia!,etc). Sad though that this only started happening when I left Manila. Lol! First it was WESTLIFE, then the PHANTOM!? COME ONNNN! LOL. So to my fellow PHANTOM LOVERS, be vigilant and grab your tickets AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! I'm sure that the competition for the tickets will be really tight!

Before I end this post, I want to share with you a sample of me singing Christine's part in The Phantom of the Opera's "All I Ask of You". This was just my practice, so please forgive me for the notes I may not have hit:

I tried practicing Christine's part in The Phantom of the Opera's "All I Ask of You"... I can't wait to record the final version!
Posted by Ms. Hyper Singer on Monday, May 25, 2015


----


MANILA, The Phantom is arriving on AUGUST 25, 2012: https://www.ticketworld.com.ph/Online/default.asp

AUSTRALIA, Phantom of the Opera 2: Love Never Dies in Sydney! : 
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/Love-Never-Dies-tickets/artist/83053
---

"Your chains are still mine... YOU BELONG TO ME!"
- The Phantom

You Might Also Like

7 Travelers with Comments. Click to comment!

  1. wow! you really love musicals... i can see that.. you're lucky... not all can watch POtO... imy!

    www.niqueINIT.blogspot.com

    NIQUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last theater play I've seen is Zsa Zsa Zaturna. I know, such a loser eh? Hahaha.

    I didn't know you like plays. That's nice to know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. never been to a musicals before. plays lang. i hope makapanuod ako kaso mahal to for sure di kaya ng allowance. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also like the phantom of the opera, the movie.. i'd love to see that on theater too.. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that's great news for the Filipino Phantom fans.

    I, too, have a heart for musicals. Sana makanaood pa ko ng marami.
    I have seen Phantom before, but it was a while back. The most recent one I've seen was WICKED. It was fantastic. You should check it out if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I don't think Ramin will be. He's pretty much booked up the entire year playing ValJean in Les Mis, then promotional tours for his solo album, followed by filming for 2 (or 3?) Canadian films, in which he is a lead!

    But we can still dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. let me know when it is meant to open.. i may go to manila with you richardjo@optusnet.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts!

Don't forget to click "SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL" below the comment box to get notified if you received any replies from other commenters.


Australian Women Bloggers Directory by Blog Chicks

Personal - Top Blogs Philippines

MAGPALISTA NA!